veeral

Japan at War: An Oral History
Haruko Taya Cook, Theodore F. Cook
Armageddon: A Novel of Berlin
Leon Uris
Falling Free (Vorkosigan Saga, #4)
Lois McMaster Bujold
Over the Edge of the World: Magellan's Terrifying Circumnavigation of the Globe
Laurence Bergreen
The 900 Days: The Siege of Leningrad
Harrison E. Salisbury
The Forsaken: From The Great Depression To The Gulags: Hope And Betrayal In Stalin's Russia
Tim Tzouliadis
Mistborn: The Final Empire  - Brandon Sanderson One of the most unique fantasy worlds ever! That being said, even this book couldn't overcome one of the drawbacks of epic fantasies - uneven pacing. I have a feeling that fantasy writers treat their works more in the line of a soap opera rather than a movie. Too little happens plot-wise for a very long time. I am not saying that all soap operas are bad. I have liked some soap operas more than movies. But when a writer is writing a fantasy series, he/she is always thinking about the next book. That's what I felt when I read this book.

Having said that, this book doesn't leave you midway. The main plot is wrapped-up nicely in the end. And the world building is fascinating! I couldn't help but draw comparisons between the plot of this book and the Russian Revolution. That makes me think, do most fantasy writers have a leaning towards Marxism? Because surely 90% of all works in fantasy genre carry the same undertone of a peoples' revolution against a tyrannical imperialistic sort of lord. Well, it just might be nothing but a trope.

One major problem I had with this book was that I felt at certain points that some characters had better choices in contrast to the actions they eventually took.

But that aside, I would recommend this book freely. You are more likely to love this book than dislike it.

4.5 stars