veeral

Japan at War: An Oral History
Haruko Taya Cook, Theodore F. Cook
Armageddon: A Novel of Berlin
Leon Uris
Falling Free (Vorkosigan Saga, #4)
Lois McMaster Bujold
Over the Edge of the World: Magellan's Terrifying Circumnavigation of the Globe
Laurence Bergreen
The 900 Days: The Siege of Leningrad
Harrison E. Salisbury
The Forsaken: From The Great Depression To The Gulags: Hope And Betrayal In Stalin's Russia
Tim Tzouliadis
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal - Christopher Moore This is my first Christopher Moore book. Though his books are easily available in the local bookstores in the vicinity of my home, I didn't heed much interest in his works until now. I mean, what kind of an author uses fonts that look childish enough (close to comic sans)on his book covers? The answer after reading this novel; the funniest author out there. I would have to thank cracked.com for their article on funny books published last month which recommended reading Lamb by Christopher Moore.

The story is told in the first person by Jesus Christ's childhood friend Biff, and it is absolutely funny. The story of Jesus's life from birth to 30 years of age is not documented, so Biff is resurrected by an angel and told to write his story of Joshua. And surprisingly, although Moore pokes fun at everything, it does not seem offensive.

* mild spoiler*

There is a bit of a lull in between due to a bit of predictability in the story line when Joshua and Biff reach India in their quest to realize Joshua's purpose of being a Messiah. As soon as I read that they were going to India, I thought they would have to deal with Untouchables, Kali Worshipers and... learn about Kamasutra (Needless to say, last one only applies to Biff).

But all said and done, this might be the funniest book out there. And I should tell the obvious that this is a total work of fiction.

And although it is written purposefully in a totally nonsensical way, the feel is not lost. The end will make you blithely melancholy. Yup, the last statement is an oxymoron, and that's what makes this book one of my favorites.