veeral

Japan at War: An Oral History
Haruko Taya Cook, Theodore F. Cook
Armageddon: A Novel of Berlin
Leon Uris
Falling Free (Vorkosigan Saga, #4)
Lois McMaster Bujold
Over the Edge of the World: Magellan's Terrifying Circumnavigation of the Globe
Laurence Bergreen
The 900 Days: The Siege of Leningrad
Harrison E. Salisbury
The Forsaken: From The Great Depression To The Gulags: Hope And Betrayal In Stalin's Russia
Tim Tzouliadis
A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin I prepared some notes simultaneously while reading “A Game Of Thrones”. But as I went along, it dawned on me that I won’t be rendering full justice to this epic series if I gave my opinion right away. I need to read at least half of the series in order to do that(my ratings may change accordingly in future).

So I would conclude my review by admitting that yes, this book has some clichéd characters as some reviewers have pointed out here (And I admit that even I was a bit critical about this book halfway through)but on the other hand, there are characters like Tyrion Lannister, Arya Stark, "the bastard" Jon Snow among others about whom I want to read more. Also, Daenerys (Dany) Stormborn’s character is better realized than I expected it to be.

The plethora of characters in Martin’s world is in itself a great achievement, but a downside of having too many characters is that you are bound to have some characters which are totally stupid or disgusting (Sansa, Lady Lysa, Viserys to name a few).

But personally, I am okay with that. In my opinion, this book is the most awesome prelude to any series if ever there was one.

4.5 stars