veeral

Japan at War: An Oral History
Haruko Taya Cook, Theodore F. Cook
Armageddon: A Novel of Berlin
Leon Uris
Falling Free (Vorkosigan Saga, #4)
Lois McMaster Bujold
Over the Edge of the World: Magellan's Terrifying Circumnavigation of the Globe
Laurence Bergreen
The 900 Days: The Siege of Leningrad
Harrison E. Salisbury
The Forsaken: From The Great Depression To The Gulags: Hope And Betrayal In Stalin's Russia
Tim Tzouliadis
The Running Man - Stephen King, Richard Bachman Good dystopian thriller that keeps you reading right till the end. I just read 'The Long Walk' so I thought that this might be a good book to read next by Stephen King. I browsed the shops, Goodreads and amazon half expecting to come across 'The Jogging Men' and was relieved as well as a bit disappointed to know that there isn't any.

Well of course, the protagonist here does not participate in a running contest but instead is running and hiding from the hunters and the privileged population of the USA alike. Yup, that is the game. He has a 12 hours head start and then he receives 100 dollars an hour of his survival time. There are perks when he kills policemen and there are prizes for the people to inform on his whereabouts. So all in all, a pretty gloomy picture.

And the end reminded me of a real major event that shook the world to its core for all the wrong reasons at the turn of this century.