veeral

Japan at War: An Oral History
Haruko Taya Cook, Theodore F. Cook
Armageddon: A Novel of Berlin
Leon Uris
Falling Free (Vorkosigan Saga, #4)
Lois McMaster Bujold
Over the Edge of the World: Magellan's Terrifying Circumnavigation of the Globe
Laurence Bergreen
The 900 Days: The Siege of Leningrad
Harrison E. Salisbury
The Forsaken: From The Great Depression To The Gulags: Hope And Betrayal In Stalin's Russia
Tim Tzouliadis
A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) - George R.R. Martin Valar morghulis.

All men must die.

And if you are not a caveman (if you are and still reading this, that means you have wi-fi and that'll do), you already know that many characters die in this book, even if you haven’t read it yet.

[b:A Storm of Swords|62291|A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3)|George R.R. Martin|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1328414586s/62291.jpg|1164465] is hailed universally as the best book in the series (yet) and I concur. The first 500 pages of the book are slow (really slow) but nevertheless necessary as they are used to fortify the rest of the book. And that rest is awesome!

But as always, there are some boring characters in Martin’s book along with some really awesome characters that carry the whole book through.

So let us talk about the boring characters first:

Catelyn
Heh! No surprises here! You couldn’t talk about being bored while reading Westeros books and not mention “Her Boringness”, Catelyn Stark.

And tell you what, apart from being boring, she is the epitome of hypocrisy as on one hand she talks about righteousness (with being as boring as ever) while on the other, she hates Jon Snow with all her boring (naturally) heart. Yes, one could understand her reservations towards Jon with him being a bastard and all but I mean, for the sake of all that’s boring, why?! Jon has never ever wronged her! I guess she hates him just for being far more interesting than her.

And she isn’t dead yet! Make way for the most bori…. *YAWN*
Moving on…

Brandon
Oh look, I am a boy! No, I am a direwolf! I am Summer! Summer is me! I am a skinchanger! Are you bored yet?

Okay, to be fair, his later chapters are far more interesting than the ones at the start. But boy, the opening chapters took some real effort to get into.

Sansa
Sansa, you are still an annoying twerp.
“If you say so, my lord.”
Get over your whining already!
“If it please my lord.”
Nevermind.
“If you say so—

*runs away*

Arya
Okay, I am back and let me say this upfront that I like Arya. But her chapters are becoming repetitive. She is captured by someone, and then she runs away and then gets captured again and then travels with someone else then again and again and again… I would like to see some variety in her chapters now.

Samwell Tarly
Meet Samwise Gamgee umm… Samwell Tarly. The fact that he has his own chapters baffles me. I am still waiting for him to call Jon “Mr. Frodo”. Come on, do it. Do it! Just once will do.

Brienne
O this annoying birdbrain! What can I say; she has her own chapters in the next book. Yay?

Okay now let’s move towards the awesome ones:

Daenerys
Her chapters give the feel of true epicness in this book. The one where she goes to buy the Unsullied is really funny where the slave sellers don’t know that she speaks Valyrian. And the remaining chapters were pure joy to read. Daenerys for the Iron Throne!

Tyrion
O poor poor Tyrion! It’s a good thing that his crazy little nephew was poisoned. How I wish that Tyrion had done it himself. But I must admit, while I knew that Joffrey was a goner (because of Melisandre’s prediction), it came as a surprise when Tyrion killed Tywin Lannister. I am really excited to see where he goes from here.

Jaime
Tyrion has got some serious competition, at last! Kingthlayer ith a thuper character. At least, we have got something to look forward to in the next installment as Jaime Lannister is there, unlike some other interesting ones who have taken a hiatus in [b:A Feast for Crows|13497|A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4)|George R.R. Martin|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1358261107s/13497.jpg|1019062].

Jon Snow
Well, all the majority of action is where Jon Snow is. So there is no need to elaborate.

Cersei
At least Cersei does not hide her feelings – be they good or evil, but mostly evil – from anyone. That’s what I like about her. I would read about Cersei anytime over Catelyn.

Davos
Davos is the most dedicated character without any ulterior motives (yet) in this series whose fate is still undecided by the end of the book. I was not sure about him in the previous book, but now I am starting to like his character.

Petyr Baelish
“Oh, Petyr, Petyr, sweet Petyr, oh oh oh. There, Petyr, there. Oh, Petyr, my precious, my precious, PEEEEEETYR!”

Littlefinger does not seem so little now, does he? With a Shyamalanesque twist (but a good one), Martin has turned the tables in the series with the character of Petyr Baelish.

All in all, an epic book. Probably the best in the series. But for me, [b:A Game of Thrones|13496|A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)|George R.R. Martin|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1369520317s/13496.jpg|1466917] will always remain special as it introduced me to the world of Westeros.

4 stars.